>The topic for today’s Spill the Beans is… FINISHED PROJECTS! OR projects you hope to get fininshed really soon.OR whatever you are working on right now! (I like variety)
Here are a couple of quilts I finished THIS WEEK! Yippee, two in one week is pretty major for me. Plus, my next work in progress.
This is the second quilt I’m adding to the group to be donated to a local shelter for families this fall. My local Crafty Girls Workshop meetup group has been working on these month by month. It’s sort of my own design, although it’s super easy to do so anyone could figure it out. A new friend that I met through the SA Modern Quilt Guild has a longarm machine and she generously offered to quilt it for me, which helped me to get it done so quickly. She even added a custom butterfly in the quilting at my request.
Then I found an absolutely awesome explanation for doing machine binding in the book called Dare to be Square Quilting. (Here is a great feature about the author, Boo Davis) So after hunting down a bias tape maker I whipped out binding for this quilt and the second quilt that I made to give to my surrogate niece, Lily, who just turned one year old this week! Her birthday party was yesterday. Here’s her quilt:
I quilted it using my stitch regulator and it went pretty quickly. I love to make the backs of quilts interesting too, so I used flannel and did an applique of her nick name which is Lily Bug.
Really, I only took about 65 pictures and three or four video clips of the day. I just couldn’t put my camera down, I mean how could I with a face like that!?
Now, let me show you a little bit of my NEXT project. I had a honey bun, which is 1 1/2″ strips and some backing fabric from a line called Hello Betty. I’ve had this for quite awhile and finally decided I wanted to do something with it. The president of the SA Modern Quilt Guild had shown off a quilt she made with the same fabric using a grey for a contrasting solid color to help the patterned fabrics POP out. So I decided that since Crafty Girls Workshop HAS some Moda Bella Solid Grey, why not use some of it in a quilt? Well, then I had to find a pattern, and the Does Not Compute pattern was pretty close to what I wanted, but without the robot (Maybe another project someday) turns out I just wanted the pattern that is called Amish Brickwork, SO that’s how the idea for Amish Betty was born. Here are my supplies.
I’ve already made significant progress. The pattern is from Dare to Be Square also and the author gives a great explanation of using 18″ strips to do strips piecing to really speed up the brickwork background part. I spent my SA Mod Quilt Guild Sew In day yesterday from about 10 am to 2 pm sewing 50 patterned strips to 50 grey strips. My next step is to press them and cut them into the brick pieces, I can’t wait!!
OK, YOUR turn to SPILL THE BEANS! I want to know what you’re working on right now! Please share and feel free to add a link to your blog if you’ve posted pictures. I’m not doing a McLinky thing, but just put the link in your comments. Thanks!!
I’m sharing this on Something I Whipped Up at The Girl Creative